KINDERGARTEN READINESS ASSESSMENT (KRA)
Assessment Data Manager Role
Each participating school or district must assign an Assessment Data Manager-Preschool and Kindergarten in OEDS by June 15, 2018. To learn how to assign roles in OEDS, please see this Assigning Roles guidance document found on the OEDS webpage.
KRA Training for Kindergarten Teachers
Kindergarten teachers who have never been trained on the KRA must successfully complete the state-required training. Kindergarten teachers who have successfully completed the KRA training in 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 are not required to take any additional training to administer the KRA during the 2018-2019 school year. They may however opt to attend a one-day refresher training.
Not previously trained-One of the following is required to administer the KRA in fall 2018:
- Option 1: Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Two-Day Training. This required training consists of two days of in-person training for NEW kindergarten teachers who have never been trained on the KRA.
- Option 2: Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Hybrid Training. This required training consists of a one day, in-person training followed by approximately 10 hours of online work on your own and is for NEW kindergarten teachers who have never been trained on the KRA.
Previously trained-This option is not required of any teacher, but available:
- Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Refresher. This optional training consists of one day, in-person training and is intended for teachers who already have completed KRA training in a previous year.
Trainings will be added throughout the summer to prepare teachers for the 2018 KRA administration. Teachers will need to register in STARS to secure a spot for training. They will find the trainings in STARS using the keyword KRA training.
KRA Administration Materials
You can destroy the 2014-2015 KRA administration materials because they are no longer in use. Please ensure your current 2015-2016, 2016-2017 and/or 2017-2018 KRA administration materials are securely stored as they will be used again for the fall 2018 administration. Some schools and districts might need additional or new administration materials for next school year.
Please fill out this 2018 Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Order Form to order replacement Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Kits for trained teachers.
Children who are blind or visually impaired represent a wide range of sightedness. As a result, the Department created the Alternative Text Teacher Administration Manual, Tactile Graphics Assessment manual, and concrete manipulatives to ensure accessibility for all children who are blind or visually impaired. You should follow the child’s instructional team recommendations for any or all supports on a child-by-child basis. You also should check the individualized education program (IEP) for any accommodations and/or modifications. Please fill out this 2018 Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Alternative Text Test Order Form to order the Alternative Text Test Administration Manual and materials.
Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Kits include the following:
Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Teacher Administration Manual
This manual contains
- Mathematics and Language and Literacy selected response and performance task items;
- Scripted directions to help ensure proper assessment procedures;
- Scoring Information.
Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Observational Teacher Administration Manual
This manual contains
- Language and Literacy, Social Foundations, and Physical Development & Well-Being observational rubric items.
Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Manipulatives
This booklet contains
- Mathematics and Language and Literacy Test Item Images;
- Mathematics and Language and Literacy card-stock manipulatives.
Not included in the kit:
- A pencil and a blank sheet of paper (8.5” x 11”), one per child, for Items 28 and 29;
- Item score sheets (also available to teachers in KReady online system);
- Guidelines on Allowable Supports for Administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment (also available to teachers in KReady online system).
Schools and districts can begin KRA administration starting the first day of school, or the first day that schools and districts take attendance for students who are enrolled in kindergarten. Additionally, schools have the option to begin the administration of KRA selected response and performance task items up to two weeks prior to the first day of kindergarten. For teachers to administer KRA items via the app, or to enter data in KReady, the Data Manager first must load students, teachers and enrollment data in KReady. The administration window closes on Nov. 1.
Previous Year KRA Data
School districts can find KRA data for 2014 in the superintendent’s SAFE account in the Collaboration Center. We have provided Directions for Finding KRA Data on SAFE. Public access to KRA data is available in the Download Data tab on the Ohio School Reports Cards page. We also have provided Directions for Finding Released Ohio KRA Data.
KRA Annual Reports
KRA Annual Report 2014-2015 – This report includes results from the FY15 administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment in Ohio.
KRA Annual Report 2015-2016 – This report includes results from the FY16 administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment in Ohio.
KRA Annual Report 2016-2017 – This report includes results from the FY17 administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment in Ohio.
KRA Help Desk: